Please find below the learning for the week commencing 1st March 2021
This term we will be learning all about different styles of poetry. We will learn what a poem is, learn one off by heart and make up our own.
1. Read the poem ‘If I Had Wings’. Think about what you would do if you could fly. Then complete English activity sheet 1. Make sure you include conjunctions ‘and’, ‘because’, ‘when’ and ‘if’. The English flipchart for the week is included below. Scroll through Monday’s lesson to learn more. Watch the video below to find out more about conjunctions.
2. Use your own ideas to re-write the poem ‘If I Had Wings’. Complete English activity 2 sheet below. The English power point sheets will help you.
3. On Wednesday 03.03.21 it is World Book Day – If you log on at 10.30 you can hear a story being read using this link https://www.worldbookday.com/events/ Now complete English activity 3 by choosing your favourite book and copying or re-designing the front cover.
4. If you could swim under the sea and had fins what would you do? Re-read the poem ‘If I Had Wings’ and then create your new poem ‘If I Had Fins’. Find Wednesday’s lesson on the English flipchart to learn more. Complete English activity sheet 4. Scroll through and Thursday’s lesson on the English flipchart to learn more.
5. Yesterday you created your own poem ‘If I Had Fins’ and used conjunctions. Today you will change your poem to include each of the five senses. Scroll through and Thursday’s lesson on the English flipchart to learn more. Below is a video that explains about using the senses within your writing.
Complete English activity sheet 5.
6. Log on to Letter-join and practise your handwriting formation daily. Make sure your letters are the same size and that ascenders are tall and descenders hang below the line. https://www.letterjoin.co.uk/(https://www.letterjoin.co.uk/)
Each week we will be looking at a different spelling patterns to support you to become confident and proficient spellers. This week we are looking at the o sound spelt a after w and qu.
1. In some words the o sound is spelt a when it follows w or qu. Watch the video below to find out more and then complete spelling activity sheet
2. Dot and dash the graphemes in the words on spelling activity sheet 2. Watch the videos to help you find out more about dots and dashes (sound buttons).
3. Suffixes have been added to root words. Look at the root words and suffixes. Complete activity 3 by identifying the root words. Watch the video to find out more about suffixes.
4. Create your own word search using the words you have been learning this week. Watch the video of Miss Perrett who will show you how to do this. There is a blank word search box below for you to use.
5. Practising writing these high frequency words by using the look, cover, write, check sheet below. Spelling Activity 5 Sheet
another, any, many, home, how, small, let, letting, river, room
You can practise learning your spellings in different way;
- Write them in sprinkled flour
- Use chalk and write them on a path
- Use finger paints
- Make the letters out of playdough or pasta
- Write the word in large letters – Cut out each letter – Mix the letters up – Then put the letters back in the correct order
Once you have learnt the spellings, use the words to create your own interesting sentences.
This week our focus is on shape. We will be looking at and identifying some of the features of 2D and 3D shapes.
1. Recognise 2D and 3D shapes. Watch the video and complete maths activity sheet 1.
2. Identify the number of sides on 2D shapes. Watch the video and complete maths activity sheet 2.
3. Identify the number of vertices on 2D shapes. Watch the video and complete maths activity sheet 3.
4. Recognise and draw 2D shapes. Watch the video and complete maths activity sheet 4.
5. Complete the maths challenges at the bottom of the page. How quickly can you do them? Remember to record your time ready for next week’s challenges. Remember to write the inverse for each calculation.
This week we will be finding out all about Marie Curie the world famous scientist. Watch the BBC video below and visit the website to find out more. Complete science activity sheet 1.
This half term we are learning about poetry and different types of poems. Watch the BBC video below and visit the website to take part in the activities and to learn more about poetry.